It’s truly heartening to see the City come back to life in leaps and bounds… and, although we are still governed by Lockdown regulations, there is plenty of live entertainment and more in Jozi this weekend. For those who enjoy jazz – The Jazz Room at DoppioZero Rosebank reopens this Friday (13 Aug) and the Market Theatre is hosting the first of it’s Jazzy July performances on Saturday (14 Aug). However, the most exciting of all is the biopic focusing on the ‘Queen of Soul’ – Aretha Franklin ‘Respect’ which opens worldwide this weekend. The option of going to the City Drive-In at Sandton City is yet another option for those who want to go out with the family and yet have minimal interaction with others. Last, but not least, the Rosebank Sunday Market at Rosebank Mall is always worth a visit.
A Sunday treat is an outing to Melville Koppies Central Nature Reserve (a 50 Ha Johannesburg Heritage site). Access is controlled and unfortunately, no dogs are allowed.
‘Enjoy a walk-about or hike at your own pace every Sunday morning – in from 8am and out by 11:30am. Only R80 pp and R40 for children. All funds are used for the maintenance of the Koppies by the volunteer committee. You will be given a map. There are lots of information boards about the heritage aspect. Guided tours for small groups are available at no extra cost on Sunday sessions. Park opposite the entrance at Marks Park Sports Club in Judith Road, Emmarentia. Remember your masks. Security is provided.’
- Jazz @ Doppio Zero Rosebank – The Jazz Room this Friday (13 Aug): Linda M Tshabalala. Doors open at 6pm. Booking is essential through TixSA
- Jazzy July is being hosted at TheMarket Theatre precinct, Newtown (14 – 27 Aug). This Saturday (14 Aug) features Jazz pianist Nomfundo Xaluva
Yes, indeed a theatrical performance has returned to one of our Johannesburg stages, it’s ‘Dusk’ at the Market Theatre and runs until 29 Aug. The venue is the Mannie Manim Theatre in the Market Theatre precinct, Newtown.
- Tuesday – Saturday: 7pm
- Sunday: 3:15pm
- Tuesday – Thursday: R90
- Friday – Saturday: R150
- Sunday: R130
Opening this weekend
- David Krut Projects, 142 Jan Smuts Ave (a mere 10-minutes walk from The Jack Rose): Olivia Botha’s exhibition ‘Caught’ opens on Saturday (14 Aug) 10am – 2pm.
- Lindo Zwane’s UBUMNYAMA opens at the Lizamore & Associates Gallery 3 Hetty Ave, Fairland on Sunday (15 Aug) from 11am.
For a list of all the current art exhibitions in Johannesburg.
Opening at the cinemas this weekend:
- Respect featuring Jennifer Hudson & Forest Whitaker
- Black Widow with Scarlett Johansson (Review to follow)
City Drive-In @ Sandton City
Fri 13 Aug 7pm – Black Panther
Sat 14 Aug 3pm – Thor Ragnarok
Sat 14 Aug 7pm – Mortal Kombat: Get Over Here
Sun 15 Aug 2pm – Jumanji: The Next Level
Sun 15 Aug 7pm – Bohemian Rapsody